Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Pacing

Right now one of my big concerns is the pacing of "Son of Liberty". I'm really satisfied with the way the beginning moves, especially the opening sequence. And I'm somewhat happy with my Act II pacing (note the somewhat). But the pacing of Act III makes it look like a Speed addict wrote it. So, what I've been doing is something I learned in Directing for the Screen.

When learning to analyze scripts, we broke down everything into beats. Obviously in screenwriting classes we learn to make beat sheets, but in the directing class we learned to take those beats and make blocks. I've been finding that breaking down my script into blocks helps sort out the pacing of everything. It makes it easier to see how long sequences are and if they are getting the amount of time they do or don't deserve. If anyone else is having pacing issues, try this out. It may help.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, mate. I really appreciate that you try to help us all out, too! I might try that. Pacing's a killer.

    ReplyDelete